Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The easiest magnet board you could ever DIY!

While trying to think of fun and educational toys to help fill and decorate our playroom I decided we needed a magnet board. I had a huge bag of letter and number magnets from my teaching days and thought it would be a fun way to work on early reading and spelling skills.  

To make things SUPER easy I went to Lowes first to get the piece of sheet metal. I didn't want to have to cut anything so I decided to buy the metal first and then the frame. I found a 24' x 36' piece for $9.99 and one for $19.88. For this project I decided on the more expensive, thicker piece. The less expensive piece would have probably worked just fine though! 

Once I got it home I checked under the guest bed to see what kind of unused large frames we had. I refuse to throw away frames so I just keep them hidden under beds! I happened to have one just the right size. I didnt need the glass so I just set that aside. I laughed for a few minutes after taking it apart and seeing what was inside...

Husbands college bedroom art!

If you need to purchase a frame I would run into goodwill or another thrift store first! Poster size frames are pretty easy to find, especially since you don't need the glass!

Now simply insert the sheet metal and put the backing on! I used some heavy duty hanging wire and also command strips to secure it to the wall. The wire hangs on a heavy
duty drywall anchor screws. These wall anchors are really easy to use and are super strong. I feel the need to always have a good supply of command strips on hand because they are so useful! Don't buy the 4 pack, buy the value pack!


The command strips on the bottom secure it flat to the wall so little hands don't mess with it. 



We love these animal magnets. 

Next I would love to get these gear magnets and some new letters. The plastic letters I had from teaching don't stick extremely well and half end up on the floor. 

We normally put the magnets up high, otherwise this one likes to come clear them off!






No comments:

Post a Comment