Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Molly's Big Girl Room

If I had to pick one room in my house to be a favorite it would easily be Molly's big girl room. When we moved into our house Molly was 15 months old we moved her into the smaller "kids" room which was perfect for her crib, chair, and dresser. Once Molly turned 2 I began working on her big girl room, the other "kids" room across the hall. These two bedrooms share a jack and jill bathroom. The room we use as a nursery is a good size and the other bedroom is huge. Molly could easily have a king size bed with room to spare. If the girls ever wanted to share Molly's room there would be plenty of room for 2 beds!

As far as transitioning her from crib to bed... She slept in her crib with a pillow and comforter for a few months to teach her to sleep with her head on the pillow. She loved her crib and never climbed out. We would talk about a big girl bed and she would cry that she loved her crib. I was 6 months pregnant when we made the transition, so we needed the crib for baby sister. One morning she got up and while playing in the playroom the crib just disappeared. I took it apart and put it in the nursery closet. She was moving to a new room but needed to not see the crib for a while. For nap she went in her new bed and did just fine. She didn't realize she could get out of bed on her own for months. At 4 years old she still calls for me to come get her after nap and in the morning.

It was fun creating a whole new room for Molly. We had the queen size bed and that was about it. Luckily my grandmother was downsizing to a retirement community and I called dibs on the dresser and mirror. They are solid wood Drexel pieces that had been painted white. I gave them a coat of creamy white paint and used a little furniture wax to finish them off. I took off the hardware and scrubbed it with Bar Keepers Friend and it went from black to a beautiful bronze.

A few months later my aunt realized she had the side table that went with the set. I REALLY wanted 2 side tables and wanted them matching so I jumped online to see what I could find. Craigslist didn't turn up anything nearby so I posted a picture of the table on a few for sale groups on Facebook and within a few hours I had found a match. It was in rough shape and I way overpaid for it ($50) but considering everything else was free I consider it a win. I changed out that hardware on the side tables with glass knobs from Hobby Lobby. I love that the open area on the table are a perfect spot for storing her smaller books.

The headboard was picked up at a local thrift store and painted turquoise to add a pop of color. I had to use some 2x4's to raise the headboard so it could be seen behind the thick mattresses.




The butterfly mobile is from her nursery. She has asked me to take it down but I refuse to! 
We have very few toys in her room but she does have her Glitter Glider Castle in the corner with a basket for all of the dolls. She became obsessed with these Magiclip dolls after seeing them on a youtube and asked for them for Christmas 2 years ago. Little did we know they were the "IT" item that year and we had one heck of a time tracking them down. I became a crazy woman and made sure she had EVERY SINGLE DOLL, even buying some on ebay. 
She does still enjoy them a year + later. 

The "Okay to Wake" clock has been a lifesaver the past few months. She started waking in the middle of the night and telling me "I'm all done with my nap" so at 3am I ordered the clock to regain a little sanity! The clock and sound machine travel with us everywhere we go!


For a little fun I painted her dresser drawers the same color as her headboard. 

She comes up with very creative ideas for what the handles look like. 




The vanity was a Hanukkah present from her great grandparents. She has just now started to enjoy playing at it. She keeps some play jewelry and hair things in the baskets as well as pretend makeup. She's getting a little jewelry box for her birthday.

I purchased the wooden monogram from a local company and spray painted it myself.



The Teepee is a new addition. I purchased it while planning her room but was concerned she would want to sleep in it and not her bed so we had a chair in its place until recently. We told her she could have the teepee in her room when she got rid of her pull-ups. She recently ditched them for good so the teepee came in a the chair went into the guest room! She wants a fuzzy rug for inside but I haven't found a small one for a decent price yet. I wish we had an Ikea in town!
The "Good Night" and "Sleep Tight" wooden signs are from Hobby Lobby. I love the touch of gold that it adds. After hanging these I spray painted the curtain rod and clips gold to match. 


The newest addition is this wire shelf for Target. She loves the Marvel Tsum Tsum mystery packs so we loaded up on them as prizes for good behavior and potty rewards. They collected on the living room mantle for a few months until I got tired of looking at them. I have a little piece of cardstock on the bottom so the little characters have a flat surface to sit on. The shelf is also a great place for her little trinket boxes that I don't want her playing with. 

Gotta love the princess castle on one side of the room and the superhero's and dinosaurs on the other! 


We keep larger books in the basket next to her teepee and an extra blanket in the ottoman. She uses that to help get up into bed. We did start with rails on both side of the bed but removed them once we felt comfortable with her sleeping habits. 











No comments:

Post a Comment