Wednesday, April 26, 2017

GOING OUT BEFORE KIDS VS GOING OUT AFTER KIDS

Last Friday night we got a babysitter and went out to dinner with some friends. We had a giftcard from Christmas we had been wanting to use and finally found time to go out. When we finally got to dinner I was already exhausted and started to think about what going out was like before we had kids. 
Lets compare:

Before having kids I was teaching at an online school, working from home. My work day ended at 3:30 and on Fridays I made sure to get everything wrapped up on time. After work I may have run out shopping for a new shirt to wear out or run a few errands. About an hour before we needed to leave I would take a shower, blowdry and straighten my hair, apply makeup, and make sure my flared seven jeans fit just right with my "going out" shirt and heels. Dan would ask me what shirt he should wear and I would roll my eyes because I didn't really care what he wore. We'd hop in the car and head somewhere for dinner, have a few beers, and then probably head back to our house with some friends and continue to drink until about 2am. The next morning we would sleep late, make pancakes for breakfast and then lay on the couch all day sleeping off our hangovers.
Pre- kids... out at a pub in Ireland!


Now that we have 2 kids things are a little different...
At 2:30pm I took a shower because both girls were napping and I could actually find 5 minutes to shave my legs. I had to monitor on full blast within reach of the shower because if you don't respond to Molly when she wakes up she will start screaming and wake up Lucy.

At 3:30pm I quickly (and very poorly) painted my toe nails and convinced Molly we were having a pedicure party. While my toes were drying I dried my hair and ran a straightener through it. 

At 4:30 I got Lucy up from nap and put some makeup on. I tried to distract Molly in the other room so she didn't insist on doing her makeup as well but that plan failed. She tired her hardest to get me to pull out my big bag of old makeup to find the good color eye shadows (from a good 10 years ago) but I won that battle and she settled for some boring nude shades.

At 5:30 I made the girls some quesadillas and got bath and bedtime stuff set out for the babysitter. Since I am used to eating dinner at 6pm I made myself a little quesadilla appetizer so I didn't die from hunger before we ate at 8pm.

At 7pm the babysitter arrived and I had just taken the girls out of the tub. I ran over their bedtime routine and we scooted out the door before Lucy noticed we had left. Scratch that... Molly screamed and chased me down for one more hug and a kiss. We made it out of the house without any kids crying and headed downtown for dinner. At this point I was already yawning...

We had a great dinner and it was nice to be out with friends. By 9:30 we were all done with our food and ready for bed. Dan was the only one who wanted to go somewhere else but he's a night owl. We were home by 10pm and I was in my pajamas by 10:15. Saturday started with a 6:30am alarm clock, 7:45am soccer pictures and a 8:30am soccer game. As I sat watching Molly play soccer I couldn't help but think back to what Saturday mornings were like 5 years ago... 10 years ago... and which type of morning would I prefer???

Post Kids... out for 2 hours to celebrate our 13 year dating anniversary
Dark circles and bags under my eyes!


I can honestly say life is so much better with kids! I think back to all of the Saturday mornings that were spent laying hungover on the couch and don't want to relive those days. Just thinking about them makes me tired! We have fun and sometimes... very rarely... we stay up past 11pm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment