Thursday, February 23, 2017

DIY Simple Hairbow Holder

When my first daughter was born she was gifted the cutest little hairbow holder for alligator clips. We've loved having it hanging in her bathroom and letting her pick out matching bows each morning, even if the bows last 5 minutes and end up on the floor of the car!

Lucy didn't get a a ton of gifts when she was born. Not that we needed ANYTHING but she didn't have some of the adorable personalized gifts her big sister had. She is just now starting to wear bows to hold back her bangs and I just had them scattered on her bathroom counter. I decided to create a simple bow holder on my own.

A quick trip to Hobby Lobby and $8 later I had the supplies to make 2 simple bow holders. I will probably make one for my niece as well. I got materials that matched the artwork in her bathroom. While it isn't fancy it was very easy to make and is perfect for holding the amount of bows we have.
Flamingo Artwork, old from Hobby Lobby 

Materials:
Wide Ribbon (I used 1.5") 
Thin Ribbon (I used 5/8")
Wood Plaque
Paint for Plaque
Felt pieces
Paint brushes
Hot Glue Gun
Push Pin

Step 1
Paint Plaque. Once the gold was dry I traced Lucy's name into it and painted it with some paint I had in my stash. The wood was soft so tracing it with a pen left a good imprint. 








Step 2
Measure ribbon and cut both. Measure your space to see what will fit. If you are making it as a gift I would make the ribbon about 2 feet long. Also cute a small piece of the thicker ribbon for the top. 

Step 3
Make felt flowers for the top and bottom. For the particular felt flowers you simply cut 4 circles (the don't need to be prefect) , fold them over with a little hot glue in the center and then fold over again. Glue the 4 folded circle (now triangles) onto a piece of round cardboard. For the flower centers I just cut a tiny strip of felt and rolled it up. I glue a push pin to the back of one flower to attach the hairbow holder to the wall.



Step 4
Once the paint is dry use hot glue to glue the ribbon to the top and the bottom. For the top just fold over a few inches of ribbon to use to hang with the push pin.  Line the smaller ribbon up in the center of the thicker ribbon and glue at the bottom to hold in place. Glue the other felt flower to the bottom. This helps to weigh it down and hold it flat to the wall. 


Step 5
Once everything is dry hang it up and add hairbows! 

 



Cost Breakdown-
I happened to go to Hobby Lobby on a good week and a lot of my materials we 50% off. I used my 40% off coupon too!
Wide Ribbon (I used 1.5") - 50% off- $2
Thin Ribbon (I used 5/8")- 50% off- $1.50
2 pack Wood Plaque- Used 40% off coupon- $2.40
Paint for Plaque- 30% off- $1.50
Felt pieces - 33 cents each
Paint brushes- already had
Hot Glue Gun- already had
Push Pin- already had 

total- $8.06 with enough materials for 2 hairbow holders and probably extra ribbon and paint!



No comments:

Post a Comment