Monday, February 20, 2017

A DIY Minnie Mouse Birthday Party

I am just about finished planning Molly's 4th birthday party and can't believe how quickly time is flying. It seems like just yesterday I was planning her 2nd birthday party. We had just moved into our new house and decided a backyard party would be a good idea. I decided on a Minnie Mouse theme, even though she would have preferred Elmo, and had a lot of fun with a few DIY projects. 

Invitations
For some reason I don't have a picture of her actual invitation but this is a picture from the tutorial I followed. It was a good bit of work but they turned out super cute. I used pink ribbon instead of red. The tutorial can be found here- Invitations
I purchased a circle cutter from amazon- Circle Cutter


Front Door Sign 
I used a black poster board, a chalk marker, and scrapbook paper. I used the disney font from the invitations and traced it on the cardboard. 


Centerpieces
I made these with supplies from the dollar tree! I bought a few packs of little terra cotta pots, some moss, and multipacks of foam balls. I had the ribbon from the invitations. I just painted the foam balls and hot glued them together and put them on a skewer. I stuffed the painted pots with a little newspapers, covered it with hot glue and burned my entire finger tip and i pushed the moss into the glue! I made a large one as well with materials I found in my moms craft closet. Free is always good! I had made the polka dot napkins for a baby shower and decided to use them to make a little runner for the birthday party


Food
Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggity Dog! A hog dog bar it was! It was so easy too! We had a ton of toppings ( onions, relish, jalapenos, pimento cheese, chili, shredded cheese, and slaw), a huge fruit salad, and chips. I like keeping things simple. I wish I had a better picture of the food setup. 
For drinks we just did pink lemonade, juice boxes, and bottled waters. 


Mouse Ears
I spent a ton of time making mouse ears for everyone. I found a great tutorial  and only burned my fingers 457 times. I made Minne and Mickey and made sure everyone wore them. I ordered black plastic headbands on ebay. 




I also made Molly's tshirt using some black scrap fabric I had and some leftover iron on chevron material. I used Wonder Under to back the black fabric. 

Side Note: 
I was about 8 week pregnant here and so bloated. 
I hadn't told anyone yet and felt so weird keeping such a big secret.

Cake
I splurged on the cake but it was just the cutest thing ever and so tasty. Our old neighbor is a pastry chef and made it for me. Molly flipped out when she saw it. Totally worth the money!

Banner
I made the banner in the background using my circle cutter, cardstock, and scrapbook paper. I tied the circle together with think white ribbon. 



Party Favors
I HATE party favors but feel like they are expected. I made little bags with magic washcloths (I had to go to 4 Dollar Trees to find enough Minnie/ Mickey ones) and a few sheets of stickers (also dollar tree). $1.25 per bag seemed pretty good to me and it didn't contain ANY candy! 


Activities
As Molly's present we bought her the jump castle. I found one used on Craigslist for around $100. It was so fun for all the kids and we still use it on a regular basis. Last minute I printed out some coloring sheets as well. We had a bubble machine going the whole party as well and the kids loved chasing the bubble around. 



I had such a blast planning this party. Hopefully her 4th birthday will be just as fun! 

For her 3rd birthday I just let her pick out any cake she wanted from Publix and had the family over for dinner, cake and presents! 







No comments:

Post a Comment