Wednesday, February 22, 2017

A Dentist Trip FULL of Mom Guilt

I took Molly to the dentist for the first time this week. She's almost 4 and we have never taken her. My uncle is my dentist so we took her there so we could go together to get our teeth cleaned. I took her with me last time I got a cleaning so she could watch but she mostly had her eyes on the ipad.

She did great for the cleaning and the hygienist kept telling her how she was being so good. She would look over at me with a big grin each time she got complimented. My uncle came to check her teeth at the same time the hygienist came to get me for my cleaning. I felt awkward leaving her in the chair...like mom should be there holding her hand the WHOLE time! I could hear my uncle say something about a cavity and some sealant and my heart sank. Molly got her prize from the ladies at the front desk and came to sit with me while I finished up.


My uncle (the dentist) told me she had 2 cavities and would need to get them filled. He also said he would put sealant on her back teeth next time we came in to help prevent future cavities. He left to go check another patient and I tried so hard to keep it together. The tears just started rolling down my face, you know, laying halfway upside down with dental tools in my mouth. The hygienist stopped and wiped my tears, leaned down and whispered "we've all been there, it's okay, your a great mom". Without saying anything she knew exactly why I was crying. We want to do the best for our kids. How did I let her get 2 cavities before she was even 4??? Mom guilt is tough. Through out the rest of the day I kept getting a little teary eyed just thinking of my sweet little girl having fillings done. 

So now we will do better. I have bad teeth and I don't want the same for my daughter. My uncle joked that kids have baby teeth as a learning set for parents! Molly doesn't like to brush her teeth on her own and makes me do it for her. Any tips out there for getting kids to practice good oral hygiene?

No comments:

Post a Comment